Thursday, April 24, 2008

My eye doctor appt. yesterday was with Alan Westeren at 9am. His suite was on the 2nd floor in a big office building. So I get there just before 9am, and his office is completely locked up. I’m hanging out in the hallway, waiting, and he finally shows up at 9:30.
There was no secretary, and no nurse; just him,
doing all three jobs.
He finally brings me back to the examination room,
and proceeds to give me a vision test. He would not let me set up my laptop, to communicate, so I produced a pad of paper and a pen. He would not write to me. He kept his cell phone in his pocket, and every time it rang, which was pretty dam often, he would answer it and the rush out of the room! (to go play secretary I think)
He was using a digital camera to take pictures of my eye. I did not understand this at all, he was examining my vision, with the eye machine thing, a slit lamp, and some other tools. My vision was not the reason for the appt! He
even had me read the eye chart, or attempt to, with my right eye (my blind eye) hello! I had just told him that eye is completely blind!
He gave me 2 forms, and told me I need to send them to my previous eye doctors to get my records, before he can make any recommondation. Wtf? Why do I need to do that? I asked him if I could just sign them and his offeice could send them......his reply was "no, I don’t have the addresses." He told me that this was "standard procedure". How can this be standard procedure,
when I have NEVER been asked to do that before?
He kept leaning into my ear, yelling to communicate with me. I kept telling him, I need to SEE your lips and please don’t yell. It does not help at all. Meanwhile, he is still running out of the room every time his phone rang, leaving me in the examination room for endless amounts of time!
I felt like crying. He came back, I handed him the paper and pen and told him
"Please write to me, I have never had a problem communicating with a doctor, but this is not working. The Americans with Disabilities Act, states that you must communicate with me, and you are not."
It was only AFTER I said that, that he started writing to me. He would jot some stuff down,
then hand me the pad or paper and rush out of the room, giving me no chance to read it and ask questions!

Then he dialated my eyes with those drops. WHY? What does that have to do with my eyelid closeing?? Now I’m back in the waiting room, while the dialation happens, and he is running around, playing secretary, and nurse, and doctor to other patients that were there.
Now its like 1:00 pm, he brings me back to the examination room, and examines my eyes some more. And again, he tries to get me to read the eye chart, with my blind eye!
He never told me what he recommended. He never told me anything! I asked him numerous times about the gold weight, he finally wrote down, ‘after you send away for your records, I will decide IF you need the gold weight, then IF I recommnd it, it will take about 6 weeks to get approval.’ (He circled the word IF several times) So I asked, "what do you mean
by ‘IF’? It’s a no brainer, my eyelid does not close all the way....." His reply to that was just pointing to what he had just wrote.
I told him "you need a secretary, a nurse, and most of all you need to work on your bedside manner." He chuckeled at that but I was dead serious!

This was the most unbelievably unprofessional doctors visit I have ever had.
My impression of him: incompetant, unprofessional, and unorganized.
I finally got out of there at 2:30. Oh, and the absolute clincher? We are standing at the reception area,
I handed him John’s card (my transpo) and I said "Will you please phone my ride home?"
He gestured to the phone on the desk and said "Help yourself."

4 comments:

Unknown said...

UFB!! I think you should report this to someone...I don't know who...but this is truly the worst I have ever heard anybody get treated by any doctor before. I can't even type the words that are going through my mind right now, I'm too much of a lady for that type of language!!
W O O F !!!!!!
GROWL!!
SNARL!!

Cindy said...

why go to him? free country, find another dr. that is beyond acceptable and yikes, do not letthis man put in a gold weight, they can cme out bad too.

Anonymous said...

Shit Jodi, I'm not that much of a lady. lol WHAT A FUCKING IDIOT MORON!

Rebecca said...

Holy crap! Sounds like a damn nightmare? Who on earth granted this guy a degree and medical license? Unreal!