Thursday, March 12, 2009

The Good - The Bad - and The Ugly!



The Good:
Yesterday, Steve Otto, my audiologist, tested me for the
Freedom BTE (behind the ear) ABI processor, and my program supports it!
This is exciting! It would mean I'd be wireless, and the entire device sits behind my ear, like a traditional hearing aid.
The best part will be not having to deal with the huge ABI processor I have now. (picture a deck of cards - only a little bigger)
Not only that, but I would have 4 different hearing programs mapped into it. With my current ABI, I only have 2 programs.
I got to walk around HEI, wearing it, to test it out, it was great!
Unfortunately, I had to give it back to Steve before I left. He is such a tease! Hopefully my insurance will cover the upgrade to the Freedom BTE, wish me luck.

The Bad:
Dr. Slattery said that the
Meningioma
in my brain, has shown some growth, and needs to come out. This is not a new tumor. We already knew it was there. (left upper side) He thinks the growth it has shown is the culprit behind the problems I have been experiencing with my left arm. He wants to look further at my films and discuss my case with his team, before we make any decisions on how to proceed. I will hear from him in about 2 weeks.
So, thats a bummer but it could be worse. Stay tuned.....


The Ugly:
My current ABI processor! ;-)

(Today was my 4th and final round of chemo. Treatment was uneventful - that is a good thing. Now I embark on the steriod rollar coaster. That ride should last a few days, and then I'm done, forever I hope. Remember? I'm in remission baby!)


7 comments:

Olivia Hernandez said...

Your insurance better cover that update girl! Sounds like a great appt. Sorry the meningioma may be growing but at least they are monitoring it, maybe you can have GK and avoid surgery?

Unknown said...

Awesome that you can get the Freedom ABI, I bet you'll have no problems getting it!! My problem is my my HMO, which you don't have to wrestle with, so YAY KC!

Growl at the meningioma...but what can you do, you know? Let's see what Slattery and his team says.

WOOF!

p.s. LOL @ Steve being a tease hahaha!!!

Anonymous said...

Your Freedom fitting sounds cool! I feel your high. Glad you liked it. I felt like I was picking out a new car. My first processor was older than yours, but there are a bunch of things they can cite to justify coverage. It is nice our drs and audis know their stuff and how to get thru hoops. I hope things go smoothly and you are sporting in no time!

It's another meningioma with me, too. Roids will hopefully control brain swelling until we can start the day with surgery Wed. You are in my thoughts, hoping you stay stable. I know you will maximize all you have. Keep on moving and gently trying to use weak stuff--it fluctuates a lot in even short periods. Going slower helps too. To the power of healing!

Yay on another completed round of chemo. Hip hip remission! Keep getting good rest and "feel the love!" Still nurturing the lucky frog here! Love and hugs, Jamie

Anonymous said...

YOUR SO FUNNY, LOVE YOUR HUMOR,AND YOUR TOUGHNESS.
GEO

Anonymous said...

To be wireless sounds awesome KC ~ Best Wishes Girl you deserve this !
That sucks about the mengioma tho...maybe they can GK that in the future too tho.

Remission ROCKS KC!

Big Big Hugs & Hang Tuff GF!!!

~Paula

JL said...

YEAH! REMISSION BABY!

JL said...
This comment has been removed by the author.