Sunday, January 8, 2012

More on Zyban

So, my cigarette cut off date is January 19th.
I'm just supposed to taper off until then,
since I can't/haven't/or-just-wont go the cold turkey route.
I'm doing well on that, today I have had 1 and 1/2 of a smoke.
It's evening, normally at this time of day, I've had 8 or more.
Breaking my own personal rule,
"assume nothing, question everything", I allowed
myself to be under the assumption that this Zyban drug
has Nicotine in it.....makes sense right?
WRONG! It has zero nicotine in it. Zip. Nada. Ziltch.
It is an anti-depressant! They use it in non-smoking programs,
to curb the irritability, depression, frustration, etc., etc.,
that people trying to quit experience.
Ok....how is an anti-depressant going to help
me quit? Won't this just be going cold turkey,
with the giggles?? WTF?
When I got the Rx, the pharmacy told me,
"you really can not drink with this medication".
Well I know that! You aren't supposed to drink
while taking ANY medication. You know I
always do, I drink a minimum of 2 beers a night
but usually much more, regardless of whatever med I am on.
Yes I know, but spare me the lecture,
I'm just being honest, even if it does reveal my weaknessess.
ANYWAY....they are serious, you really
can not drink with this med.
Friday night I drank maybe 5 beers,
and woke up Saturday morning with a horrible headache,
the chills, and my whole body was sore.
(don't say hangover, that is a joke, I have to drink WAY
more than that to get anywhere near a hangover)
That lasted all day Saturday, and then I could not sleep.
Now, Sunday evening, the headache is gone,
but my body still feels really sore.
One of the listed side effects are "Flu-like" symptoms.
Good description. Clearly, the alcohol enhanced that.
And today my Zyban dosage doubles.
Wonderful.
No more beer? Maybe I will have 1 beer,
just 1, before I go to bed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I feel ur pain! No drinking on avastin either. Every 3 or 4 months I have a small drink, but other than that? Nothing. My coffee consumption has doubled as a result. Lol
YB