Friday, June 22, 2007

1st treatment - part 2

Yesterday was a very long day.
Treatment started at 9am ,I wasn't done until 3:30.
First things 1st, Nurse Linda started an I.V. , or tried to anyway.
I showed her the best spot to use, which of course she did not agree.
So after 3 strikes (ouch!) she was out. Luckily Nurse Rebecka saved the day, 1 poke, right where I showed her, no problem
Rebecka is my new favorite nurse ;-)

The treatment room is like a big living room, filled with recliners and couches, tv's and magazines. They encourage you to bring a book, a laptop, friends to quietly hang out with, snacks, drinks, etc.

Suzanne went to the treatment with me, we chatted for awhile on my laptop, until the battery died. (4 hours)
Then she went to get lunch and brought back carnitas burritos from Rubio's Mexican Grill. It was soooo good. I think thats my new favorite place to eat. ;-)
Today at noon, her and her family went to Italy. 19 days they will be there.
ciao!

About half way thru the treatment, I was given some Rx'es to have filled.
One for nausea, one for heartburn, one for something else. And one for pednisone...yes steroids. Yuck! Steroids are evil, I hate steroids, can u say 'roid rage'?
So I told the nurse, no way, I'm not taking these, why do I need these?
Dr. Zu said nothing about steroids. So she took the paper and dissappeared, I'm thinking, cool, that was easy enuf.....wrong! Here comes Dr. Zu to explain to me that I must take these steriods, only for 5 days tho.
That is, 5 days following every chemo treatment.
Well, ok then, if I must, I must. I still say steroids are evil tho....

My leg muscles feel like I have been running laps. Legs feel very fatigued.
weird, I sat in a recliner all day yesterday.
No nausea, as of yet. Insane heartburn tho, and a little insomnia last night. No biggie, I slept in ;-)

Not sure what I was expecting, but yesterday was not bad at all.
My only complains were the I.V. situation, and the knowledge of the 'riods. The 1st treatment is history.
bark~!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool Beans KC!!!!
One day down,one to go(according to the one day at a time theme)
Jimmy

Bernadette said...

Hey KC!
So glad your first treatment is over an out of the way. Make sure you keep getting the nurse who listens to YOU.
I thought about u all day yesterday and said lots of prayers for ya.
Lots of hugs and a bright sunny weekend for you.
God bless!
Bern

Rebecca said...

Glad your first day went pretty well!

The heartburn may be aggravated by the Mexican food. I like spicy food but when I was on chemo it did not agree with me. Maybe things have changed and you can eat there for every treatment!

About the IV. yeah that sucks! I still go through that anytime I need contrast dye for an injection or blood drawn. I finally learned that the dang needles are just not going to go away.

For me, I need to give exact instructions (hot towels or water bottle on arms, certain butterfly needle in the hands on certain veins.

I feel for you as there was one time that my regular chemo nurse was not there! Argh! I had this lady go for the wrist even though I told her not too. The result....a bloody mess everywhere and a no go for the IV. They had to send me to a blood lab to have someone else do it.

Since back then, I have still had problems for MRIs and other blood drawing things. The record I think is 7 or 8 pokes!!!! I actually swore at the MRI tech that unexpectedly and stupidly poked me on the top of my thumb! SOB that hurt!

If you treatment is going to be long, you can get what is called a "shunt". It is inserted up on your chest where there is a main artery or vein (must be vein) and there are no problems. I did not have one because I originally thought my treatment was only going to be 3 months and it turned out to be 6 months (someone an error in communication). 1/2 through I decided forget it I don't want one.

Do ask. I think you need to ask for it and about it.

Yes remember your nurse's name and always request her.

Prednisone is pretty common given to cancer patients. In fact it has been a regular part of some chemo cocktails. I would have had it but my chemo cocktail was new and different drugs. I never had prednisone until 2005 when we tried it out for complications I was having post radiosurgery. LOL It was kind of funny because when I was on the Prednisone it REALLY stimulated the limbido! (I was trying to determine a tactful way to say that). ;+)

The fatigue and weakness is common. Your body is responding to the attack of the all the chemicals. Although you may not feel like it, it is important to get out and walk for exercise. Walk the dogs. Walk with Geo. It helps your body to heal.

So make a point to do that this weekend. Then relax around after your walk.

Keep positive thoughts!

- Beck

Unknown said...

good for you kc! sounds like you are 'keepin it real'. i have no idea what the heck that really means, but i try to say it to people whenever possible...so'keep it real' kc! we love you!
:)
woof!

Anonymous said...

KC you ROCK girl!
Chill out this weekend and let Geo be the chief cook & bottle washer girl!
Ask for that same nurse if ya can and the steroids are ok for just 5 days after chemo...Its not like a daily thing forever..I know there evil but they are needed girl!

Big Hugs and God Bless!
Paula

Dee-Ann said...

hey KC im so sorry girl ive been so out of the loop lately i dont know what way is up or down just barely starting to know what way is north and what way is south smile
big hugs to you thru this ive been thinking of you but havnt been very updated cause i just have been so busy but you are in my thoughts big hugs from me rob and kayla ann
Dee-Ann